CIS CYBERSECURITY ADVISORIES
MS-ISAC ADVISORY NUMBER:
Vulnerability in Lenovo Service Engine (LSE) Could Allow Remote Code Execution
A vulnerability has been discovered in Lenovo Service Engine utility which could allow for remote code execution. Lenovo Service Engine is a utility found in the BIOS that installs and updates Lenovo software. Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to gain control of the utility and perform unauthorized actions.
Proof of concept code does exist. There are currently no reports of this vulnerability being exploited in the wild.
Lenovo Desktop Models Running Windows 8 or 8.1:
- Horizon2 27
- Horizon 2e(Yoga Home 500)
- Horizon 2S
Lenovo Laptop Models Running Windows 7,8, 8.1 and 10:
- Flex 2 Pro-15/Edge 15 (Broadwell)
- Flex 2 Pro-15/Edge 15 (Haswell)
- Flex 3-1470/1570
- Flex 3-1120
- G40-80/G50-80/G50-80 Touch/V3000
- Yoga3 14
- Z70-80 / G70-80
- Yoga 3 11
- Large and medium government entities:High
- Small government entities: High
- Large and medium business entities:High
- Small business entities:High
Home users: High
A vulnerability has been discovered in Lenovo Service Engine utility which could allow for remote code execution. The vulnerability can be exploited by an attacker performing a buffer overflow attack. Successful exploitation could result in an attacker gaining access to the utility and installing malicious software that will always run upon boot-up of the machine even after it has been re-imaged.
Please note that the vulnerability only applies to Lenovo laptop computers running Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
Additionally, this vulnerability only applies to Lenovo desktop computers that were manufactured between 10/23/14 and 4/10/15, running Windows 8 and 8.1.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Download and run the disabler tool provided by Lenovo.
- Remind users not to download, accept, or execute files from un-trusted or unknown sources.
- Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or un-trusted sources.