CIS CYBER SECURITY ADVISORIES
MS-ISAC CYBER SECURITY ADVISORY NUMBER:
Multiple Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR Could Allow Remote Code Execution (APSB14-17)
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR. Adobe Flash Player is a widely distributed multimedia and application player used to enhance the user experience when visiting web pages or reading email messages. Adobe AIR is a cross platform runtime used for developing Internet applications that run outside of a browser. Successful exploitation could result in an attacker compromising data security, potentially allowing access to confidential data, or could compromise processing resources in a user's computer. Failed exploit attempts will likely cause denial-of-service conditions.
There are currently no reports of these vulnerabilities being exploited in the wild.
- Adobe Flash Player 18.104.22.168 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.1248 and earlier versions for Linux
- Adobe AIR 126.96.36.199 SDK and earlier versions
- Adobe AIR 188.8.131.52 SDK & Compiler and earlier versions
- Adobe AIR 184.108.40.206 and earlier versions for Android
- Large and medium government entities: High
- Small government entities: High
- Large and medium business entities: High
- Small business entities: High
Home users: High
Adobe Flash Player and AIR are prone to multiple vulnerabilities. Specifically, the vulnerabilities identified may allow an attacker to run malicious code through exploiting vulnerable JSONP callback APIs or through multiple security bypass vulnerabilities. Successful exploitation could result in an attacker compromising data security, potentially allowing access to confidential data, or could compromise processing resources on a user's computer. Failed exploit attempts will likely cause denial-of-service conditions.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Install the updates provided by Adobe immediately after appropriate testing.
- Remind users not to visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
- Do not open email attachments from unknown or untrusted sources.
- Limit user account privileges to those required only.