CIS CYBER SECURITY ADVISORIES
MS-ISAC CYBER SECURITY ADVISORY NUMBER:
Multiple Vulnerabilities Discovered in Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR (APSB14-09)
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR. Adobe Flash Player is a widely distributed multimedia and application player used to enhance the user experience when visiting web pages or reading email messages. Adobe AIR is a cross platform runtime used for developing internet applications that run outside of a browser. Successful exploitation could result in an attacker compromising data security, potentially allowing access to confidential data, or could compromise processing resources in a user's computer. Failed exploit attempts will likely cause denial-of-service conditions.
At this time these vulnerabilities are not publicly disclosed and there is no known proof-of-concept code available.
- Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.124 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.1996 and earlier versions for Linux
- Adobe Flash AIR 188.8.131.528 and earlier versions for Android
- Adobe AIR 184.108.40.2068 SDK and earlier versions
- Adobe AIR 220.127.116.118 SDK & Compiler and earlier versions
- Large and medium government entities: High
- Small government entities: High
- Large and medium business entities: High
- Small business entities: High
Home users: High
Adobe Flash Player and AIR are prone to multiple vulnerabilities. Specifically, the vulnerabilities identified may allow an attacker to run malicious code through either Cross Site Scripting or Buffer Overflow. Failed exploitation attempts may cause denial-of-service conditions. Successful exploitation could result in an attacker compromising data security, potentially allowing access to confidential data, or could compromise processing resources in a user's computer. Failed exploit attempts will likely cause denial-of-service conditions.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Install the updates provided by Adobe immediately after appropriate testing.
- Remind users not to visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
- Do not open email attachments from unknown or untrusted sources.
- Limit user account privileges to those required only.