CIS CYBER SECURITY ADVISORIES
MS-ISAC CYBER SECURITY ADVISORY NUMBER:
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS12-044)
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Microsoft's web browser, Internet Explorer, which could allow an attacker to take complete control of an affected system. Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could result in anattacker gaining the same privileges as the logged on user.
Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
- Internet Explorer 6
- Internet Explorer 7
- Internet Explorer 8
- Internet Explorer 9
- Large and medium government entities: High
- Small government entities: High
- Large and medium business entities: High
- Small business entities: High
Home users: High
Two remote code execution vulnerabilities have been discovered in Internet Explorer. These vulnerabilities occur due to the way Internet Explorer accesses objects in memory that have not been properly deleted. These may be exploited if a user visits a web page that is specifically crafted to take advantage of the vulnerabilities. Successful exploitation of any of these vulnerabilities could result in an attacker taking complete control of the system.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Apply appropriate patches provided by Microsoft to vulnerable systems immediatelyafter appropriate testing.
- Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
- Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by hypertext links contained in emails or attachments especially from un-trusted sources.